Oceanside varsity boys game too much for Belfast to handle

ROCKLAND – In a game moved up a night because of predicted weather, the Oceanside Mariners varsity team hosted Belfast Monday in a game that was all Mariners almost from start to finish with a 79-47 win.

Belfast's Zane Bielenberg, left, tries to get past the defense of Oceanside's Nate Raye and Mike Norton (13). Despite the defense, Bielenberg had a great game scoring 20 points in the loss. (Photo by Ron Hawkes)
Click here to view and purchase photo from this game

Belfast came out strong taking a quick 7-2 lead before Oceanside coach Matt Breen started putting his regular starters in as it was senior night and all the seniors started the game in honor of it being their last home game in high school.

The score and the game quickly turned around as on this night Oceanside was too fast, too quick, too focused on the game for Belfast to keep up. The Mariners came to play, they are tournament ready.

The Mariners led after each quarter, 16-13, 38-18, and 60-32 heading into the final stanza. Toward the end of the game, coach Breen was able to once again get each of the seniors back on the floor for one final in front of the home crowd as they cruised to victory.

Seniors from this year's team are Nate Raye, Sam Atwood, Coby Dorr and Josef Berger.

Scoring for the Mariners was Atwood with a team-high 19 points; Raye and Mike Norton had 14 each; Cooper Wirkala 12; Jack Lombardo and Jack Freeman seven each; Josh Peaco five; Berger four; and Dorr and Leo Reid two each.

Oceanside was outstanding at the foul line hitting 17-of-18 (94 percent) on the night. They also had six 3-pointers, three from Atwood, two from Wirkala, and one from Lombardo.

Oceanside's Sam Atwood, center, puts a shot up in a circle of Belfast players for two of his team-high 19 points. (Photo by Ron Hawkes)
For Belfast, Zane Bielenberg had a game-high 20 points; Stanley Sturgis seven; Nolan Woods six; Dakota Doolan four; Tyler Bartlett three; Garrett Hamlin, Edwin Johnson, and Ian Snowdeal two each; and Max Lewis one.

The Lions were 7-of-10 (70 percent) from the foul line and they had two 3-pointers, one each from Sturgis and Woods.

Oceanside goes to 14-3 on the season and has one game left Thursday, Feb. 9 when they travel to Gardiner. That game will likely determine who goes in third and who goes fourth. Currently, in the Maine Principals' Association, Heal Point Standings, Oceanside is third with 93.7037 tournament points while Gardiner sits in fourth place with 93.3951 tournament points. A difference of just .3086 points.

Neither team can slip lower than fourth, but it looks like neither team can catch Hampden Academy for the number two slot and Medomak Valley has No. 1 wrapped up at 17-0 with a trip to Belfast on the schedule for each team's final regular season game Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

Oceanside's Mike Norton thought about the dunk, but took the sure above the rim layup for two points. (Photo by Ron Hawkes)

Belfast game maker Stanley Sturgis calls out the play as he heads up the floor. (Photo by Ron Hawkes)

Oceanside's Cooper Wirkala looks to drive the paint. (Photo by Ron Hawkes)

Belfast's, Dakoda Doolan, front, and Oceanside's Trevor Reed battle on the floor for a loose ball. (Photo by Ron Hawkes)


Top Five Posts Last 30 Days